Monday, September 04, 2006

Sometimes, life here seems a little bit surreal.

The fact that it hasn’t rained since I arrived (in July) and yet there are green lawns everywhere and not a gardener in sight is something that is starting to confuse me. I haven’t seen a single person cutting or watering their lawn, and yet everywhere I go there are green lush lawns that are trimmed to perfection.

It also doesn’t help that there appear to be random college aged boys performing stunts (maybe frat initiation??) at perfectly reasonably hours of the day. Twice I’ve seen one guy who goes running in 40-degree heat, wearing only sneakers and a lovely purple fun-fur thong thingy. The first time I saw him, he was also wearing a purple fun-fur shrug.

In addition, Davis has a few local characters.  I have yet to spot the midget cop, or the guy who lives in his bike (no.  this is not a typo) but i have been assured by many people that they exist. Though every town has characters (Dr. Mask in Ottawa, the plague lady in MTL), somehow the fact that there is a homeless man who lives in a box that he has put wheels on and attached to a bike contributes to the surreal feeling of this town.  

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you remember that lady in the market who wore those crazy hats so that the aliens couldn't locate her? It was something like that. I saw her screaming at her own legs one day, telling them not to move. Then there was another homeless lady in the market who spit in the face of my jerky boss. har.

10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home