Tuesday, July 11, 2006

The last day on the road…

Well, today we drove from SLC (no, I didn’t see any punks…) to Davis. We stopped briefly to admire the great (stinky) salt lake and marveled at the salt flats that followed. Before entering the Sierra Nevada mountain range, we saw plenty of geothermal energy stations around hot springs. I think that 5 days on the road may be a bit much for my “delicate” system. As we were passing through the Sierra-Nevada mountain range, I actually found myself thinking “well, they’re impressive, but Yellowstone was better” and then I went back to my knitting. On the way to Sacramento we stopped in for a swim at a beach on north Lake Tahoe. As it was a mere 29 degrees Celsius outside, there were less than 10 other swimmers, but the lake was magnificent to swim in, and made for a nie break before finishing off the trip. After lake Tahoe, we drove through Sacramento and arrived in Davis (which my father thinks is a City version of the Glebe).

Needless to say, there are several things that I have learned after traveling 4800 km in 5 days.
1) I am a better navigator than my father, as he neither looks at road-signs nor maps. At the beginning of the trip we were sharing the driving and the navigating equally, but as soon as we left Ontario we quickly realized that this was not going to work if we intended to ever reach our destination. How could I have gone 26 years without noticing this?
2) My father thinks that 2 Burce Springsteen albums in a row is alright, but does not agree that 5 Tom Waits records in a row is delightful. (I only got to play one tom waits cd per day).
3) Sometimes people at truck stops give you cookies. (raisin and oatmeal cookies from an old fellow working at a Subway in the middle of Nevada)
4) There is always a golden oldies station playing rush (by the way, I have updated my view of purgatory to be : driving through the desert/Salt flats listening to a static-ey radio station play Rush).
5) Yes, Americans seem to be fatter than Canadians.
6) The Americans that I’ve encountered on this trip seem to be much more polite than Canadians (or at least montrealers).

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that Americans are fatter and uglier but, that could be because of where I attend school.

I know you will appreciate this- I'm not sure but, I think I saw an Amish man driving his horse and buggy whilst chatting on a cell phone. I could be wrong but, I could not risk another look. I choose to believe he was on a cell phone.

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home